Firearms January to August – City of Regina
- From January to August 2016, there were 74 violent occurrences involving a firearm compared to 56 for the same time period in 2015 (+32%).
- 74 violent occurrences in 2016 is an increase of 70% compared to the five year average.
- There were 33 firearm related occurrences reported to the Regina Police Service where no one was injured compared to 2 for the same time period in 2015.
- 33 firearm related occurrences is an increase of 171% compared to the five year average.
- 26 persons were injured by firearms compared to 11 for the same time period in 2015 (+136%).
- 26 persons injured in 2016 is an increase of 106% compared to the five year average.
- 217 firearms were seized compared to 220 for the same time period in 2015 (-1%). (Seizures do not include devices or ammunition)
- 217 firearms seized in 2016 is an increase of 27% compared to the five year average.
- The types of firearms seized are most commonly rifles and other guns such as BB guns and pellet guns.
- 32 firearms were reported stolen compared to 14 for the same time period in 2015 (+129%).
- 32 firearms stolen in 2016 is an increase of 15% over the five year average.
|Jan. to Aug.|
|Stolen Firearms – property offences||52||25||16||14||32|
|Firearm occurrences no injuries||5||14||7||2||33|
|Jan. to Dec.|
|Stolen Firearms – property offences||56||29||32||35|
|Firearm occurrences no injuries||7||19||19||15|
- Seizures (criminal) refer to all incidents except provincial statutes, municipal bylaws and special inquiries. Therefore, incidents related to Mental Health Services Act, Youth Drug Detox, Sudden/Accidental Death, Domestics, Attempt Suicide, and Lost/Found Property are NOT included.
- Seizures (public safety) refer to incidents such as Mental Health Services Act, Youth Drug Detox, Sudden/Accidental Death, Domestics, Attempt Suicide, and Lost/Found Property.
- Firearm occurrences no injuries refer to three types of incidents: discharge firearm with intent, used in the commission of an offence, and pointing a firearm